Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Watch Out In The ER

I had to go to the ER this morning for problems with my legs. When I got called by the ER triage nurse, she took my Blood pressure. I have large arms from having to do a lot of lifting in my time. She used a small BP cuff and put it below my elbow and turned on the machine. The machine read 220/120. I damn near crapped in my pant when I saw that. I normally have borderline high blood pressure, so a number being a little high didn't surprise me. I told the nurse she and the machine was wrong. She doubted me but I insisted she do it again. So she got the large BP cuff and put it above my elbow and turned on the machine. The machine's new reading was about 40 points lower that the first reading.
If I didn't insist on the new reading, I would have been treated for something I didn't even have.
So, if you ever go to a medical facility, keep a close eye on what they are doing because they may be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment