Sunday, June 26, 2011

Yep, I Live In The Wimpy West

From the Reno Gazette Journal: A 19-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run incident at a cattle drive making its way through remote Sierra County.
The Sierra County Sheriff’s Office said deputies took suspect Justin Phillip into custody Friday near Camptonville in Yuba County.
Investigators saidPhillip is suspected of striking five cows, running over a cattle dog and threatening to hit several horseback riders with his SUV during a cattle drive hosted by Reader Ranch on June 19.
The annual event makes its way from the Nevada County ranch northeast to the unincorporated community of Pike in Sierra County.
KCRA-TV reportedthat Phillip is being held on $100,000 bail in the Sierra County Jail in Downieville on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, vandalism and animal cruelty.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20110625/NEWS/110625010/Man-arrested-hit-run-NorCal-cattle-drive-?odyssey=modnewswelltextFRONTPAGEs
20-30 years ago, he would have been strung up without the cops knowing.
100 years ago, the Sheriff would have helped hang this guy's ass from the closest big tree.
I am betting that this thugs car was pretty much totaled.
When I lived in Havre, Montana, I was driving at night in the Bear Paw Mountains, south of of the city when I went around a curve and hit a cow that was in the road. I hit the cow with a big, 1970's car. My car broke down, with the fender being torn off. The cow, on the other hand, just looked at me like I was crazy, mooed and went on about it's business
So, if this guy hit 5 cows, there is probably not much left of the guy's car, unless cows have gone wimpy as well.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the SOBs who ran down a bunch of deer with their snowmobiles in Waupaca County. The idiot judge bought their "hunting" defense (even though it wasn't hunting season), but one of the men was later charged with an old hit and run homicide.

    ReplyDelete