Sunday, October 1, 2017

Solar Energy...Not All That Green

From the Pahrump Valley Times: A Las Vegas law firm is launching an investigation into allegations of employees’ gas exposure at the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project.
Craig Drummond, attorney from Drummond Law Firm in Las Vegas, said he is in the early stages of the investigation into employees’ potential exposure to nitrogen dioxide gas from a hot salt tank at the solar plant near Tonopah.
Drummond was hired by Timothy Stiver, a former mechanical supervisor at Cobra, a Madrid, Spain-based contractor for Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project. Stiver alleged that he and a group of other workers were hospitalized after inhaling the gas emitted from the hot salt tank....
Stiver, 53, relocated to Tonopah from Florida four years ago, to work on the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project.
In late August, he said he had a respiratory failure after working in the unit next to the hot salt tank.
“I woke up at about one o’clock in the morning, had burn all the way down to the middle of my chest, I couldn’t stop coughing,” Stiver said in an interview.
An hour later, he started vomiting.
“I was in a fetal position until 5:30 in the morning,” Stiver said.
After missing a day of work due to his sickness, Stiver started coughing up blood the next morning. Stiver’s wife drove him to a hospital in Reno where he spent the next few days....
An employee for another contracting company at Crescent Dunes, who declined to identify herself, said that she had experienced throat burns accompanied by a strong headache while she was at work on Aug 23.
“My boss personally drove me to Hawthorne,” the woman said. “I got a breathing treatment, I got on steroids, which messed with my blood sugar because I’m diabetic. … That really tore me up. I couldn’t stay focused, it was miserable. I’ve never felt that way.”
Before she left the emergency room, she said another worker arrived with second-degree burns.
http://m.pvtimes.com/news/investigation-launched-potential-gas-exposure-nevada-solar-plant#sthash.oZ1Tn60I.EN5O0vlg.dpbs
There is a myth that supposed clean energy is actually  clean as the wind driven snow.
Whether it is solar power or electric cars, it is all dirty to 1 extent to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment