Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why I Have No Faith in the Education System

I just finished up a 4 hour meeting with other teachers at our school . We belong to the School Improvement Project. (as an aside, I am a high school special education teacher in the Clark County School District)
This is our second 4 hour meeting. We have 15 members who get paid $120 per session. We also have paid consultants who get paid, who knows how much. At our first meeting we sat around and played games and got to know each other, even though we have been teaching together for at least 8 months or longer. In today's session, we identified 1 problem and 1 good thing at our school. That's it. Nothing more, except talk. We didn't do anything to help our school improve, we didn't make suggestions, we didn't do anything except bitch and moan about the administration and students.
When I joined the committee, I honestly thought we were going to discuss and come up with solutions to our school's problems and we have so many problems at our school- attendance, discipline, English Language Learners who are dropping out, etc.
The only other thing that came out of the meeting is that we will meet again in the middle of August- provided we get funding for the consultants and ourselves.
I feel guilty that I think I am part of a scam of taking taxpayer money and accomplishing nothing. This is why I think the education system sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Our tax dollars at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, an update. Nothing ever came of the meetings. No recommendations, nothing.

    ReplyDelete