Sunday, March 17, 2013

Aww, Poor Baby

From the New York Daily News: 
He insisted that outsiders might think they have experienced boredom but that they cannot truly understand the type of boredom he endures constantly. A day of boredom on the outside, he said, would be a "whirlwind of activity" for him.
"You could turn on a TV and watch a movie or some other show," he said. "I haven't seen a TV since the 1980s. You could go for a walk in the neighborhood; I can't walk more than a few feet in any direction before I run into a concrete wall or steel bars.
"You could pick up your phone and call a friend; I don't know if I'd be able to remember how to make a collect call or even if the process is still the same, so many years it's been since I've used a telephone."
Even insignificant things become extraordinary after being disconnected from them for such a long time, Blake writes.
He has difficulty distinguishing the passing days, or years.
"SHU is a timeless place, and I can honestly say that there is not a single thing I'd see looking around right now that is different from what I saw in Shawangunk Correctional Facility's box when I first arrived there from Syracuse's county jail in 1987."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/prisoner-essay-tells-solitary-confinement-article-1.1290589#ixzz2NmozcCf2
And so what is thug in prison for?
Why, shooting a police officer.
In 1987, Blake was simply a 23-year-old facing a drug charge in court. But that all changed after a failed escape attempt. The young man snatched a deputy's gun, wounded one officer and gunned down another, for which he received 77 years to life in prison.
Can't handle it, poor baby, then don't do the crime.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/prisoner-essay-tells-solitary-confinement-article-1.1290589#ixzz2NmpV9Hk1

No comments:

Post a Comment