Sunday, October 28, 2012

There are A Lot Of Names I Can Call Obama But....

I would never call Obama, or anyone else a retard, as Ann Coulter the other day.
From the New York Daily News: 
Ann Coulter is unfazed by the onslaught of criticism she received for calling President Obama a "retard."
The conservative pundit told Alan Colmes of Fox News Radio that the people who denounced her glib usage of the R word were "liberal bullies."
"Look, no one would refer to a Down's syndrome child, someone with an actual mental handicap, by saying 'retard,'" Coulter said.
"Where do you think the words imbecile, idiot, moron, cretin come from?" she asked. "These were all technical terms at one time. Retard has been used colloquially to just mean 'loser' for 30 years."
Liberal commentator Colmes countered that many Americans consider the R word deeply offensive, reported The Washington Times.
But Coulter would not budge.
"Screw them!" she said, "You just cannot go around saying this and that word is offensive. I'm sick of this."
STEPHENS SHAMES COULTER
The controversy arose when Coulter tweeted, "I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard," after the most recent presidential debate.
In one sense, Coulter is right in the sense that the word "retard" is a term that has been around for many years and it has changed meaning from describing people with mental disabilities. 
And Coulter is a fire breather who doesn't back down and she loves controversy.
However, to me, the word is offensive because I work with kids with intellectual disabilities.  When I hear kids say the word "retard", I try and correct them into using a different word.
And the liberals are all hot and bothered by Coulter's comment.  Were they all hot and bothered when all the hate was directed at George Bush.  When they used the "R" word against Bush, how many liberals protested? 1? 2? Or maybe 0? Yeah, I go with choice C.
Like I said, I could recite a few names I would like to call Obama, but I wouldn't use the "R" word.

No comments:

Post a Comment