Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Should Have Gone With His First Thought

From the Washington Post:
Mitt Romney officially announced his candidacy for president in June 2011. But during the spring of that year, Romney considered scrapping his campaign altogether, as detailed in a soon-to-be-released book about the 2012 presidential campaign by The Washington Post’s Dan Balz.
Then in the exploratory committee phase of his campaign, Romney was preparing on a May morning to deliver a speech in Michigan to defend the health care plan he signed into law as governor of Massachusetts and attack President Obama’s federal health care measure. The Wall Street Journal released a scathing op-ed that same day slamming the Republican over his Massachusetts plan.
Romney’s eldest son Tagg got a message from his father early that morning, he told Balz. “I’m going to tell them I’m out,” Tagg Romney recalled his father telling him. “He said there’s no path to win the nomination.”
Romney confirmed after the election that he called his son one morning to tell him he thought he wasn’t going to run. “I recognized that by virtue of the realities of my circumstances, there were some drawbacks to my candidacy for a lot of Republican voters,” he told Balz in January. “One, because I had a health care plan in Massachusetts that had been copied in some respects by the president, that I would be tainted by that feature. I also realized that being a person of wealth, I would be pilloried by the president as someone who, if you use the term of the day, was in the 1 percent.” 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/07/02/balz-book-romney-considered-scrapping-bid-in-spring-of-2011/?print=1
Romney is a very nice guy who had some very bad conservative ideas.  I wish he had never ran for president.
The only problem is that the GOP would have nominated someone just as bad as Romney.

No comments:

Post a Comment