Thursday, February 28, 2013

Woman Sues NASCAR For Injuries In Crash



From, ESPN:  Whitney Turner didn't expect to be carted off on a stretcher when she went to Saturday's Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway.
But when Kyle Larson's car went airborne into the catch fence a few feet from where she stood on the front stretch, all the 33-year-old fan from Tell City, Ind., could think was, "I'm going to die.""I expect to go to a race and enjoy myself," Turner told ESPN.com on Thursday. "The drivers should be protected as well as the fans. I expect that fence to protect me from anything that may happen on the other side of the fence."At least 28 fans were injured by debris that came through the catch fence during the last-lap crash that Turner described as a "horror movie that played out in real life."Turner is one of three that have retained Orlando, Fla.-based law firm Morgan & Morgan to seek compensation for medical bills and pain and suffering.
"I have limited people to help me," said Turner, a single mother of a 5-year-old daughter, as she explained why she retained attorney Matt Morgan. "I don't want sympathy from anybody. All I want is to know that I'm taken care of and that my family is taken care of and I can just get back to normal one day."The fibula in Turner's right leg was shattered when she was hit by a piece of debris not far from where the engine of Larson's car came through the catch fence at the crossover gate. Turner isn't sure if she was struck by the engine or a large piece of metal found near her.
She also suffered a sliced Achilles tendon.  http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/nationwide/story/_/id/9000405/injured-fan-whitney-turner-recalls-daytona-wreck-seeks-compensation
My guess is that if she didn't sue, she would have had her medical bills paid, lost wages paid and some extra money for the pain and suffering by NASCAR.
Now that she brought in a lawyer in and all bets are off and there is probably a good chance, that after she has to pay her attorney 1/3, she may end up with less money.

No comments:

Post a Comment