Thursday, October 24, 2013

We are From The Government And...

I work with severly disabled high school students, who's functioning age is about 2 years old, if that.
In the beginning of the school year, a parent of one of my student filled out a form to get free or reduced lunch.
Somewhere along the line the school, school district or federal government lost the form.
About 2 weeks ago, students were informed that they could not eat main courses if their form was not turned in.
One of my severely disabled students was in this category and even though the form was turned in (I witnessed the form being turned in), this child has been denied food from the CCSD school district.
Even though the student involved has a mental age of about 2 years old and has no role in the matter, they are being denied food from the cafeteria staff, who are following rules set up by the CCSD bureaucracy and the Fed's.
As Ronald Reagan said ""The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.".
Very frustrating, but in the meantime, I am helping to feed the child from my own money and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment