Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Hero In Norway

From CNN: On Friday afternoon, Kasper Ilaug was inside his summer house, a cabin on Norway's Storoya Island, watching the Tour de France when the television broadcast was interrupted by a news flash -- a bomb had exploded in nearby Oslo...
Within 15 minutes, he was at Utoya Island. He saw people in a handful of other private boats that had lined up along the shore.
"We saw some youngsters laying there and waving to us," he said. "They were terrified."
Along the shore were children crouched behind rocks and buildings and shrubs. "They waved to me," he said.
"Then I got this text message from one of my friends that said there's a lunatic out there shooting people." Then he saw helicopters flying overhead.
By now, he had realized it was no joke.
Ilaug brought the boat along the shore and children clambered in, as many as the boat could handle without sinking. The children -- most of them in bathing suits or half-dressed -- were shivering.
"Of course, they were in shock," he said.
He observed one group of children behind rocks. "I tried to wave to them and to get their attention, but I didn't get a response," he said.
"I thought, maybe they are still in shock or laying behind that rock for shelter."
He understands now that they were dead.
"They asked if I was police. I said, 'No, I'm just a private person. Our objective is to go to shore, and you will get blankets and you will find police and medical attention.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/22/norway.rescue.worker/index.html
I know there are any heroes, from the firefighters who responded to the bomb blast to the police officers who responded to the blast and who went to the Island where the youth were killed and arresting the thug shooter and bomber.
If other political or religious agencies were involved with this thug, the cops they need to go after them with full force.

It is too bad that Norway doesn't have the death penalty. If the prisons in Norway are the a close to what the U.S. prisons are like, I hope they put this thug in general population and see how long he lives. Otherwise, Norwegians will be paying for this thug and if there are any followers or supporters of this thug, for the rest of this thug's life. Shameful.
This should be a death penalty case, if there ever was one, But Norway doesn't have the death penalty. I wonder if the thug realized since there was no death penalty, he felt more empowered to do his slaughter?
It also makes me wonder about the Norway' right to carry arms. The Norwegians can carry arms and hold as n=much as 10,000 bullets, according to Wikipedia. One wonders if this kind of terrorism happen can over in the U.S.. I am pretty sure it could happen but pray it doesn't happen. I just hope there are no copy cat crimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment