Thursday, July 21, 2011

Alan Stock Gone At KXNT

From Norm at the LVRJ: Veteran KXNT radio host Alan Stock was let go Wednesday after 12 years with the CBS affiliate.
Stock, who confirmed the dismissal, had been moved to the afternoon drive-time slot a year ago after more than a decade as a morning drive host. Reached at his home, Stock said he was informed of the move after his show ended at 6 p.m.
"They made a huge mistake," he said. "These people are brand new in this market. They want to change the direction of the station. They wanted somebody who was part of the 'CBS culture.' "
Asked what he thought that meant, Stock said, "I think they wanted their own people."
He added, "I am looking to land something better in this market and I will come back and kick their ass."
Stock said his colleagues "were absolutely great. I plan to stay here. I love this town. I've got my family and I've got my faith."
The California native has been selected to Talkers Magazine's Top 100 talk show hosts every year since 2000.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/radio-host-stock-loses-job-at-kxnt-125939828.html
Today, J.D. Hayworth took over Stock's show, but I doubt that is permanent.
KXNT has been on suicide watch ever since they dropped Stock to the 3-6 PM slot and moved Mark Levin to the 9-12 midnight slot as your blogger here has pointed out since they brought in a new program director
http://lasvegasbadger.blogspot.com/2010/05/kxnt-committing-radio-sucide.html
So, where will Alan Stock end up? My bet would be KDWN in the 9-12 noon slot as KDWN currently has Dennis Miller. Another possibility would be 670 AM, KMZQ where they have national programming but if they want to attract a local crowd, this would be it.
This now leaves only 1 local talk show host in Las Vegas, Heidi Harris for is on KDWN on the 6-9 morning slot. Nationally, we have Jerry Doyle, who is also on KDWN, who is on from noon to 3.

15 comments:

  1. Alan Stock is a great news man. Nobody pressed the local politicians harder than Alan. The only saving grace KXNT has left is Rush, I believe I will listen online to a different affiliate from this point forward. GOOD BYE KXNT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss Alan Stock on KXNT. I hope he finds a new station soon. I host Steve Nohrden Live on Sundays on KXNT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Casey Hendrickson and Heather Kydd. Now Alan Stock. Do these people realize that Vegas gets used to certain hosts that have been on the air for many years?

    Rush is the only reason left for me to ever tune to kxnt now, and only when I'm driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KXNT has been a bit easier to listen to (at least in the morning) since they changed. . .um. . .formats? Focus? Their morning show started out very fragmented and disjointed, but has gelled a bit, and is like 60% conservative. . .a slightly rightward canted news operation. Stock's show was WAY local compared to previous, and not so great.

    Levin is unlistenable. Stock was neutered, no idea how much of that was management, and how much was age. But he was a real prick when I argued with him a decade ago. Kind of a grumpy old man these days.

    But look at this: Alan Stock has options. What's that, three stations for conservatives? Find a liberal outlet. Liberal media my pale white butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. alan is las vegas.sombody get him a gig.i'm going thru stock withdrawl.can't listen to backbencher twadle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I can see KXNT going more liberal. They brought in a liberal program director and got rid of Levin, for the most part (what you don't like Levin? Shocking, but you have to admit he is entertaining- "Get off the phone you big dope")
    They'll keep Rush because he is a big money maker and probably the same with Hannity (who is boring compared to Jerry Doyle)
    I can see a liberal like Ed Schultz going in the 3-6 slot.
    I was never a Stock fan- he was rude to callers and he would get information wrong. But hopefully he will show up again. I hear there is a opening at the new polka station in town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. KXNT has been making odd choices since new management took over. They don't understand 'Vegas Culture' and those of us who have been here over 40 years, don't like when east or west coast liberals come in and try to foist their ideas of what we 'should' like upon us. I will no longer listen to KXNT as there is just nothing there that I can't listen to online at MY convenience. Alan Stock has become a 'local' and is liked and respected by those who have listened to him with any consistancy. He will be scooped up by someone. Bye bye KXNT....too bad you think we wanted your changes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've stopped listening to KXNT. I haven't liked any of the changes since they booted Casey and Heather. My drive to work is Heidi and at work I listen to my native 850 KOA out of Denver. KXNT was going to boot Ramsey and Levin when they got rid of Allen, but Ramsey and Levin are holding KXNT to the contracts...so when those contract expire bye-bye to them. KXNT was a good station.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Las Vegas radio is in sad shape now. KXNT is a joke with only Rush and Sean to keep them going. The morning news format is a bigger joke. Heidi Harris is all me,me,me. I have to internet to listen to Laura Ingraham in the AM. Weekends are even worse with no local talk. What's worse, the economy or Las Vegas radio?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't Like the Taste of DrivelAugust 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM

    I miss Alan, Casey was benign, and Heidi was a mindless douchebag. She loved to be controversial, but failed to make her point on many occasions. Good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alan and I could not be further apart on issues,and he replaced me on KXNT,but LV is poorer for his absence on the air. He is a smart and good guy and a great radio man.
    I hope he re-emerges on the airwaves,he deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. KXNT could buy a case of soup and use the tin cans & some string instead of paying for a transmitter. That's how many listeners they have. Stock was/is a jerk, and only the republicans that used him for their agenda will miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alan stock is the best talk show host in Vegas. He dislikes that creep in the white house as much as I do. I miss Heidi Harris a lot and you can have that liberal jerk who replaced her. I can't stand him at all rush is a great newsman too and let's unite to get obuma and I meanObuma out of the white house before he ruins this great country of ours. Please not four more years of that imcmpetant idiot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan Stock is an extremist right wing nut, as far as I am concerned and he makes our side look quite bad. With his name calling and making off the wall statements makes him look like a lunatic. Then when teams up with the liberal lawyer, they both sound like idiots, arguing just for the sake of arguing. I still listen to them when other stations are on commercial. They are worse than Hannity and Colmes.

      Delete
  14. Hope you make them eat their words Allen. We'll listen to you at your new Radio home. Hope it's sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete