Saturday, December 19, 2009

A New Scrooge: Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart stores, a store that respects their employees is making their employees work until 8:00 on Christmas Eve.
Normally, Wal-Mart normally closes at 6:00 on Christmas Eve and many employees have counted on that and I know I did. Many have family coming in, other have parties to go to. Others have church services to get ready for.
This tells me that Wal-Mart is hurting this Christmas season, so they are hoping to make a few extra dollars, which they probably won't do. I have worked the previous 2 years on Christmas Eve. Usually, I get off by 6:30 and now, on Thursday, I will be lucky to get out by 8:30. Yes, if they stayed open, they can make some more money, so why close at all? And I think that is going to be the next step in a few years.
So, to the person at Wal Mart who ordered the stores to stay open a couple of hours longer, bah hum bug and I hope Santa puts coal in your stocking.

7 comments:

  1. But Dan, think of all the people that will be helped. Or in the same authors words, "Don't be such a damn elitist."

    Not so funny now, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, capper, we will be open on Christmas Eve and the tradition of Wal-Mart closing on Christmas Eve is at 6:00. The tradition of Wal Mart closing on Thanksgiving is non-existent or virtually existent.

    In addition, Wal-Mart is closed the next day. The day after of Thanksgiving, Wal Mart is opened.
    But nice try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you silly man. One holiday is just as bad as another. You are providing a public service in those two extra hours. Hell, your store should be open all night and all day on Christmas, cuz that would be the "right" thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I couldn't care less if they are open or not on Christmas Day. I have worked enough holidays- working in nursing homes, group homes, volunteer firefighter/EMT and at U.W. Hospital, it would not make a difference to me.
    And yes, you are correct, if we were open on Christmas Day, we probably would get a lot of business.
    But, in this case, it was kept silent that we were going to stay open a few more hours on Christmas Eve. I just found out about it last week. Some employees still don't believe it.
    But capper, even though I disagree with you most of the time, I appreciate you visiting this blog and your opinions and your two blogs. I hope you and Mrs. Capper have a great holiday season and hope you have better luck up at the castle this years as compared to the last year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And no capper, one holiday is better than others. Thanksgiving is for the most part, an American holiday with little religous implications. Christmas Eve and especially, Christmas Day is a religous holiday. While shopping is a big part of it, it is still a religous holiday. Big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, one final thought for the night, I am going to be exploiting workers on Christmas Day. We are going to a show on the Strip and pig out on a buffet. Yes, you can call me a hypocrit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to you and your new bride as well.

    I've been half-joking that I am suffering from PTSD - Post Traumatic Snow Disorder.

    ReplyDelete