Thursday, December 3, 2009

Obama and Advertisements- Enough To Make You Worry

I was watching a Men's Warehouse commercial and they had a model, who in several poses, looks like President Obama. I realize it may be the pain medication I am on, but with the look of the guy, he does look like Obasma.
In several radio ads, Obama's name is mentioned, at least 5 ads I have listened to. They are from a car dealership and a couple of money management companies, credit card refinance companies and probably more. Then you have Internet advertising using his name and sometimes his picture. Enough is enough.
I have never see a president in advertising before. Can you imagine a condom commercial using Bill Clinton? Oil companies using G.W. Bush? A movie pitched by Ronald Reagen. A book on anti-semitism pitched by Jimmy Carter (oh wait, I think he wrote one)
Apparently, some advertisers think that by using Obama's name in commercials will help sell their project. Maybe to some true believers, I suppose. But then, they are risking pissing off some people who don't like Obama. Is it worth it?

3 comments:

  1. I think the ads that use Obama's name or (look-alike) image are aimed at African-Americans, just like those "souvenir coins" that Montel Williams was hawking before the inauguration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is better...a condom with a caricature of the President !!!
    a stimulus package that actually works hahaha

    www.therealstimulus.com

    ReplyDelete