Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Review: "Open Sesame: A Journey To The Other Side Of Magic"

The other night, the family went to the Royal Resort, 99 Convention Center Dr., just south of Sahara and LV Blvd to see the magic show, Open Sesame.
One word describes the show: Wow!
We have seen most of the magic shows on the Strip, from Nathan Burton, Dirk Anderson, Spike and Hammer, Todd Paul, Steve Darci and more. While each performer has their strong points, Open Sesame came across as the best magic show that we have seen.
There are three performers, Losander, who is from Germany, Luna Shimada and Christian Diamond in the show. Christian, who performs as a gypsy, mostly did card tricks. He invited my son before the show to go up to the stage and do a "pick the card out of the deck trick". The trick was performed wonderfully and he got my son his first acting job.
The next performer, Luna, had a wonderful Japanese umbrella trick where she had umbrellas appear out of almost everywhere. Losander is an imposing figure on stage but a wonderful magician. He invited me on stage (which is a shock since I have the face for radio and the body of Jared before the Subway commercials, well, almost). He performed a trick where I held on to a lock and chain and he taped his thumb and index finger taped and he would be able to grab the chain, a purse and other objects between the two fingers. Even though I was right there on stage, I could not figure how he did the trick, though after thinking about it, I think I know how he did it, but cannot prove it. Other magic tricks, I had no clue. He also brought also brought my son on the stage to help levitate a table. Again, have no clue how he did it.
Towards the end of the show, they made a bird appear in one trick and a dog appear in another trick and again, amazing. I mean, how can you hide a dog up your sleeve?
The only problem I had was that Christian needs a bigger palm or smaller hankies as I seen palm two hankies during the show. There were also two men who somehow know the performers who were in the back and hyper exaggerated the ooohs and ahhs and that was kind of irritating.
Again, the show is at the Royal Resort, at 99 Convention Center Dr.. Show times are at 6:30 and has shows on Mon and Wed. at 6:30 and 9:00 and Tuesdays at 6:30 only. A ticket cost $29.95 and if you buy an adult ticket, you get a child ticket for free. It is a kid friendly show but the magicians don't treat the kids as kids- it's not a kids show with kid themes. It's an adult show that kids can see.
The trio's website is: http://opensesametheshow.com/
The show lasts 1 hour and it well worth the cost and time to see this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment