Friday, May 7, 2010

Teacher Arrested For Sex With 17 Year Old Student

As a teacher, I read the story about the 30 year old teacher having sex with a 17 year old student.
There are two schools of thought. The first is that the kid is almost an adult and that this is a feather in the student's cap for getting it on with an adult and with a teacher.
The second is that the teacher was wrong and should have been arrested for having sex with a student.
As a teacher, I side with the second view. A teacher who has sex with a student at their school is just asking for trouble. Not only is the sex wrong, you put yourself and all your students in peril. you risk getting caught and then screwing up all your students. You get caught, you get suspended and then the district brings in a long term sub and whatever you taught gets thrown down the drain.
If you have to have sex with someone young, wait until they graduate and then do what you and the kid have to do, not that I endorse that either. But at least, you won't a sexual misconduct charge against you.
Any teacher, male or female that participate in this conduct is an unprofessional teacher and should not be in the teaching field.
Have I seen teachers engage in this behavior. Obviously, I have never been a witness something. Have I suspected or thought someone was doing something wrong sexually. Yes and it is an uncomfortable feeling. I have no evidence or proof that I could bring to an administrator or police, just a feeling something is not right. Would I rat a teacher or employee out if I had evidence- absolutely.
So, what this teacher did was wrong and she will lose her livelihood, even if she does not go to prison. She will probably be labeled a sex offender and for what? Six romps with a 17 year old. It's not worth it.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/07/report-teacher-student-sexual-encounters-occurred-/

No comments:

Post a Comment