Wednesday, December 1, 2010

New Crime In Las Vegas: Driving With Temporary License Plate

In Nevada, and probably most states, when you buy a car from a dealer, you get a paper temporary license plate that you put on the rear bumper. In Nevada, it is good for 30 days.
Well, today I got pulled over by a Las Vegas Metro police officer by McCarren Airport for driving with the paper temp. license plate. That's all. The officer never mentioned that I was speeding, rolled through a stop sign. The temp. plate was not expired. Nothing. (and I was wearing my seat belt and obeyed all the traffic laws when I was driving).
He told me the only reason was because I had a temp. plate and he was just checking if the car was stolen.
Now, I was on my way to the DMV to get the real plate and the stop only lasted about 5 minutes, but still, people were looking at me like I did something wrong.
So, beware, in Las Vegas, you can be pulled over for doing nothing wrong except to have a legal temporary paper license plate you get from the auto dealership that is displayed properly.
More and more rights are, poof, gone.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in Ohio, I got pulled over three times in one year, and had to go to court (I won, because the arresting cop was on strike!). So, I was surprised to find when I moved to Las Vegas, that my traffic violations were not noticed by cops at all. Mostly.

    Several years ago, I got pulled over for running a "right on red" without completely stopping. I was guilty, but got it reduced to a $50 parking ticket with a free lawyer. Cool!

    Then, two years ago, I was zipping down Dean Martin Drive on Christmas Eve. I was going 46, and the speed limit (in that weird, slowed down curve around Silverton) was 35. My ticket was $1600! He got me on several "violations", most ginned up. I'm convinced it was my Obama sticker.

    I got that reduced to $150 (again, not a moving violation, courtesy of another free lawyer). And that's it, so far, in 16 years. I guess I'm due for an unbeatable charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free lawyer??? How did you get that?
    But for the Obama sticker, that should be worth a lot more than $1600. :)

    ReplyDelete