Wednesday, August 19, 2009

This Had To Be Painful On Both Sides (And It Ain't Your House

President Obama invited the champions of NASCAR to the White House today. I am pretty sure Obama is not a big NASCAR fan and I am sure, most of the drivers are not Obama fans. But I am glad they went. http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4410300
On another matter, a little over a minute into the video, Obama states: "It's not every day that we have a championship stock car parked out on the South Lawn. Fortunately, we got Jimmie to agree not to do any burnouts and tear up my back yard," Obama said."
Umm, Mr. President, it is not your back yard. You don't own the property. Has any other president claimed the White House as their own?

1 comment:

  1. Lots of people live in houses they don't own. They're called tenants or renters. Some live in houses provided by their employer. I'll bet most of those people still refer to the yard attached to their residence in possessive terms. Some older renters may shout at the local kids to "Get off my lawn!" even though they don't own it. The job of President of the United States includes, as part of its compensation, residence in the White House, so there is nothing wrong with the POTUS referring to "my back yard" while he is in residence. I suspect G. W. Bush did the same once in a while.

    ReplyDelete