Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This Why I don't Give Money to Hobos

Per Fox News: Ken Johnson, 52, spends up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week, sitting at a Sydney intersection that can net him $400 a day from generous pedestrians, and has brought him a steady income since the late 90s.
Even on slow days the drifter pockets $75 to $100, in Australian dollars.
"I'd be really disappointed if I did a long Friday and I only had $250,'' Johnson told The Telegraph. "I knock off when I feel like it, or if I've done brilliantly. ... The hours are long and monotonous but Johnson's time on the street sitting with his sign has earned him up to $50,000 a year, the equivalent of about $42,000 in U.S. dollars.such a high that you go for a few more hours and get a bit more money.''... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,542505,00.html

My 10 year old son has a fascination with Hobo's. Maybe he's on to something. But I never give to people standing on the street corners. If a person comes up to me and has a credible story, that may change things. If a mother with children comes up to me in a grocery store parking lot and asks for food, I have and will go shopping with them, up to $100 at times. But Hobo's, nah, I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment