Sunday, February 6, 2011

New Endangered Specie: Kids Who Play Outside

I realize I am getting older because my back tells me this everyday. However, am I that old that I still remember when kids play outside with other neighborhood kids?
Yesterday and today, in Las Vegas, it has been close to 70 degrees outside in the afternoon with little or no wind. Absolutely beautiful weather to play outside if you are a kid.
My kids went outside to hunt for the endangered specie, kids that play outside, and they couldn't find one kid playing outside our town house complex. There are at least 25 junior high school kids that live in our complex and probably double that with elementary school kids. Not one kid was playing ball, games, walking a dog or other fun games kids used to play.
I don't know if this is unique to Las Vegas or happens all around the country.
When we lived in Wisconsin Rapids, kids played all over the neighborhood, even in the winter when it was probably 25 degrees and above. Here in Vegas, it's 70 and no one is outside. Maybe they are inside watching TV, playing computer games, listening to their I-pods or texting on their telephones.
Obviously, back in the Stone Age, we didn't have I-pods, cell phones, computers and our TV set had 4 stations in Milwaukee, I believe. So, we had to play outside or if we were inside, we would play games or we had to read books.
But are kids that lazy today or do they just don't know how to play outside any more? Whatever the reason, kids are going to start to look like this guy:

1 comment:

  1. This is a nationwide phenomenon. That's why the NFL is promoting its NFL 60 program to encourage kids to play outside.

    ReplyDelete