Thursday, May 19, 2011

I've Lost A Lot Of Respect For Kareem

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, aka Lew Alcindor when I watched him in person, is complaining about his treatment by the Los Angles Lakers.
From ESPN: Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar elaborated on his fractured relationship with the Los Angeles Lakers, saying Thursday he's been mistreated and the franchise no longer appreciates him.
During an in-studio interview with ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning," Abdul-Jabbar explained and then expanded on his comments made to The Sporting News this week in which he said he felt "slighted" that the Lakers have not erected a statue of him outside Staples Center.

"It's about a whole lot of smaller incidents that as they pile up on you, you get the feeling that you don't mean anything to them," Abdul-Jabbar said Thursday. A day earlier, he voiced his complaints through a serious of tweets on his Twitter account. "I think in my tweets I said, 'What am I, chopped liver?' It's frustrating.
"For example, I had to take a cut in salary," said the six-time world champion, who over the past several years worked in many capacities with the Lakers, including as an assistant coach and consultant. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6566583

So, Kareem is pissed that he doesn't have a statue, of him outside of the Staples Center. Why is he pissed that he won't have a statue that pigeons poop on?
I always thought that Kareem was this mild mannered man (except when he popped Kent Benson in the mouth) who really didn't care for all the accolades.
I guess I was wrong.
But he is still the best pro basketball player in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment