Saturday, April 20, 2013

Shock: Woman Pro Basketball Player Is Gay

Like this surprised anybody: It wasn't a big deal when Brittney Griner, the top pick in the WNBA draft, acknowledged this week that she is lesbian. ESPN radio’s Jared Max thinks that is very awesome.
“It was cool the way it just slipped out, and I think that tells us that we have become very comfortable with gay women in sports,” said Max, who came out two years ago. “I think it tells us that we are comfortable for gay men in sports, too.”
When Sports Illustrated’s Maggie Gray interviewed Griner and the two other top picks in the draft, Elena Delle Donne and Skylar Diggins, the conversation turned to sexuality in sports.
Griner casually acknowledged that she is gay.
“I wouldn’t say I was hiding or anything like that,” said Griner, the Baylor star who was drafted by the Phoenix Mercury. “I’ve always been open about who I am and my sexuality.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/baylor-star-top-wnba-pick-acknowledges-gay-article-1.1320676
I think it would have been more of a shock if she said she was straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment