Sunday, September 13, 2009

Amish Firefighting

I am a former volunteer fireman, starting in Oconomowoc and ending my career with an injury in Maple Bluff. I was also a volunteer in North Dakota and Montana. I also used to live in Central Wisconsin, in the Amish country and got to become friends with several Amish families. I have heard that there were some Amish firefighters but really didn't know how it worked. I found this interesting article yesterday about Amish firemen in Lancaster County, PA.
http://www.nfrmag.com/home.php?id=119&cid=4&article_id=324
Among the more interesting items I found in the article is that while the don't drive, they ride in the fire trucks. Some Amish carry pagers while others do not because they consider the pagers to be like a radio. Sometimes, the pagers will have a scanner and the Amish kids will go to a fire and listen to the scanner, which is a big no-no in the Amish community.
Anyways, it is an interesting article if you like reading about Amish, firefighting or different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment