Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tatoos- Wierd



I will be honest, I hate tattoos. Besides being hairy and a tattoo would not look good on me, I just could never get one.

I live and work in Las Vegas. Some of my observations:

First, freshmen kids coming into school are starting to get them. I guess, getting a tattoo is a way to look impressive to the gang kids in the neighborhood.

Then, working at Wal-Mart, I have seen the strangest tattoos.

The strangest by far, is a gentleman who comes in about 2 times a month. He has a green lizard claw tattoo on his face. He is bald and the claw pretty much covers the entire face and top of his head. He also has a lot of tattoos on his arms and neck, but you really don't notice them.Another patron has a bunch of tattoos on his face and he has his hair like the Statue of Liberty's crown.I would say about 30% of the people who come into our store have tattoo's that are showing. Big, little, all different colors and locations. It is really strange when you see ladies and old men who are older than 75 with their withered tattoos. I have seen 2 Obama tattoos. (none for Bush or Harry Reid) I've seen tattoo lips of every color, with the strangest being big green lips (2 inches at least) on a guy's neck.I've seen a lot of Hawaiians have tattoos of the 7 islands of Hawaii, so they must be proud of their state. I have yet to see a tattoo of Nevada or Wisconsin or any other state.I just feel that a person who gets a tattoo is looking for attention for themselves and I am not a person who looks for attention. (while I have a blog, I do not try and draw attention to my name)So, for those who have tattoo's, I will not be joining your ranks. But for those who decide to get a tattoo on your face, what exactly do you plan on doing with your life? How many people will hire you with a tattoo on your face and head. Maybe a weird TV show, but no one who has to with customer service. You will get plenty of stares but that's about it.

2 comments:

  1. In Japan, where tattoos are strongly associated with organized crime, some businesses (especially hotels) will not serve customers with tattoos.

    I think a lot of the younger generation have a skewed view of how mainstream tattoos are. They will learn as they (try to) enter the work force that facial tattoos (and piercings, other than earlobes) are not yet considered respectable.

    Hawaiians proudly display their tattoos because the art of tattooing is part of their cultural heritage. I suspect the Hawaiian Islands tattoos are popular because tribal polynesian designs have been co-opted by haoles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I bet in Vegas you see alot of may I say interesting people. I agree with Ordinary Jill, The younger crowed should know facial tattos are not widely accepted. & they should know as you get older and your skin looses it elasticity some tattoos on parts of the body stretch out & do not look becoming anymore. EX: hearts or flowers on a womans upper breast area.

    ReplyDelete