Sunday, May 27, 2012

Want A Piece Of Baseball History?

From ESPN: New York Yankees legend Don Larsen is willing to give up a piece of his history to help ensure his grandchildren's futures.
Larsen, who is the only pitcher in Major League Baseball history to toss a perfect game in the World Series, will auction off the jersey and pants he wore on that momentous October day in 1956.
His reasoning? To ensure his grandchildren can pay for college.
"I'm auctioning the uniform to provide my grandsons with enough money for a college education," the 82-year-old Larsen told The New York Times by phone Friday. "What the uniform actually sells for is not that important to me; whatever happens, happens. I'm just hoping for enough to help the grandkids."
According to The Times, the uniform of Yogi Berra, Larsen's perfect batterymate during that Game 5 against the Brooklyn Dodgers, sold for $565,000 in an auction.
"I really don't know what it is worth," Larsen told The Times. "But what I do know is that in terms of historic importance, my uniform is a part of one of the greatest moments in the history of sports. I have thought about that perfect game, more than once a day, every day of my life since the day I threw it." 
 http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7976957/don-larsen-former-new-york-yankee-auction-perfect-game-uniform-jersey-grandkids
It's a shame that Larsen has to sell the uniform but he is also being very selfless to sell the uniform to help his grandchildren go to college.
How much will it go for?  If Yogi Berra's uniform went for $565,000, Babe Ruth's jersey was sold for several millions and Lawrence Taylor's Super Bowl ring was sold to Charlie Sheen for about $500,000 recently, then this uniform probably will go for about $775,000 or more.
I am sure Larsen is sad about getting rid of the uniform, but it also shows the class and commitment to family that shows Larsen is a first class human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment