Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thank You NASCAR For Tribute To Carroll Shelby

Tonight, NASCAR had a moment of silence for Carroll Shelby, one of life's most interesting men, who passed away on Friday.
Shelby had a huge impact in the Las Vegas Motor Speedway area.  He had garages set up out there and he has sponsored many NASCAR events, including the NASCAR Sprint race up until this past race.
From ESPN: Nothing to worry about. Carroll Shelby cannot die.
If he could, he would have been dead for 50 or 60 or 70 years by now. He's had heart problems since age 7. He had a transplant in 1990, maybe five years before our little excursion here.
Whomp! The Viper takes a set, and we pull some G's, but Shelby still hasn't looked away from me and he's still pouring profanity, telling his stories.
Back in the pits, I, in my 40s, feel certain that Carroll Hall Shelby, at that point in his 70s, will easily outlive me.

Well, I'll be damned.
Carroll Shelby died Thursday, May 10, 2012.
He was 89. He lived 82 of those years with heart trouble, the last 22 with a transplant. He had lived wide open, full of piss and vinegar all the way.
I'll be damned. Toughest SOB of a genius I've ever known
http://espn.go.com/racing/blog/_/name/hinton_ed/id/7920679/nascar-carroll-shelby-really-gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment