Thursday, September 6, 2012

I Don"t Like This Restaurant Idea

From the Las Vegas Sun: Speaking of informal environs at the Hard Rock Hotel, on Saturday I crept into Culinary Dropout. It was my first visit to the eatery that expands on the concept of traditional pub fare -- and if there is any form of food that is taking a whipping anymore, it is “traditional pub fare.”  
I spent about an hour at the bar sipping a diet cola (no traditional bar beverages for this kid) and chatting up the staff.
At least, I think it was the staff.
Those working at Culinary Dropout are uniform-free, so they are dressed as any diner -- especially any diner who just shopped at the Gap. Every so often, someone in street clothes walks up and asks, “Everything OK so far?” and you say, “Yes, kind stranger!” I believed that I tipped a tourist on his way out of the restaurant, so be careful.
A good way to discern who is and isn’t a member of the Culinary Dropout staff: Employees typically walk from table to table with their hands behind their backs. If you see such a person, feel free to tip him or her. Or order the rainbow trout.  http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2012/sep/06/no-prince-harry-connection-gantt-arrest-hint-chang/
A restaurant without some kind of uniform to differentiate staff and the customers is kind of strange.  I'd like to know who works at the restaurant and I feel uncomfortable if I don't know who is coming up to the table.  If I have to wonder who are the staff and who are the customers, then this is not a place that I would want to go to.
Hopefully, this concept will work for the owner, but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment