Saturday, January 26, 2013

This Would Be Cool To Have

From jsonline: In 1974, Pat McBride, then the youthful equipment manager for the Milwaukee Bucks, asked General Manager Wayne Embry if he could have some game-worn jerseys no longer in use.
Embry said yes. McBride, showing wisdom and business savvy beyond his 21 years, picked out a Lew Alcindor jersey; a jersey belonging to Oscar Robertson; and one belonging to Sam Williams. The jerseys were from Alcindor's rookie year and used through the Bucks' only championship season, and then never used again.
For good measure, McBride selected a pair of special goggles worn by Alcindor, who would later become Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
Decades later, McBride, 59, now a professor and the associate dean of students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Medical School, has put the items up for auction.
"They look just as good as the day I got them," said McBride, who kept the jerseys in a box in a closet of his Madison home. "I honestly thought at the time I would just put them up on my wall. They were important to me. I thought I would hang onto them for years. But I took really good care of them."
Troy Kinunen, who runs a memorabilia evaluation and research service called Mears Online, was asked to authenticate the items for Heritage Auctions, the Dallas-based auction house that has put the items up for bid.
In an email, Kinunen said he gave the Alcindor jersey a perfect grade of "A" in terms of its authenticity and condition. He said he expects the jersey to sell for more than $100,000.  http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/alcindors-rookie-jersey-pays-off-for-former-bucks-equipment-manager-qs8h5ka-188501341.html
If I had $100,000 to spare, this is something I would be interested in buying as I remember that championship year and listening to Eddie Doucettte yell Bango! for every long shot made by the Bucks and watching Lew Alcindor's sky hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment