Thursday, March 31, 2016

Sad Day In Law Enforcement

From the Richmond Times Dispatch: A Virginia state trooper was fatally shot and his attacker killed by officers who returned fire Thursday afternoon at Richmond’s Greyhound bus station, where the state police were conducting a training exercise, the agency’s top officer said..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Two women, one a track athlete from Binghamton (N.Y.) University headed to the College of William and Mary for a meet, suffered injuries that were described as not life-threatening.Virginia State Police Superintendent W. Steven Flaherty told reporters at an evening briefing that trooper Chad P. Dermyer, 37, died from his wounds after being taken to VCU Medical Center following the 2:40 p.m. attack. Police had earlier announced that the gunman also died at the hospital.
Dermyer, a Marine Corps veteran and native of Jackson, Mich., graduated from the state police academy in 2014 and had been transferred to a counter-terrorism and criminal interdiction unit after serving on patrol in the Newport News and Hampton areas. A former Jackson and Newport News police officer, Dermyer was married with two children.
And from the LVRJ: A police dog’s handler was one of four Las Vegas officers to open fire on a suspect who fatally wounded the animal Thursday afternoon.
By the time Thursday’s chaos was over, two people were dead in a northwest valley neighborhood and the suspect who killed the dog was hospitalized with several gunshot wounds.
The police dog, Nicky, had returned to duty less than a month ago after recovering from a machete attack February standoff.
Emergency crews were dispatched just before noon Thursday to 9848 Fast Elk St., near Log Cabin and North El Capitan ways. A man and a woman were shot and killed by the suspect inside a home, Capt. Shawn Andersen said at the scene.
When officers confronted the man outside, told him to drop the handgun he was holding and tried to arrest him using Nicky, the suspect shot the dog. Nicky’s partner, Las Vegas police Sgt. Eric Kerns, and three other officers then shot the suspect, who was rushed to University Medical Center for treatment.
Nicky died at the scene Thursday, and was later taken to a central valley animal hospital — who would act as a “dog coroner” — accompanied by a police procession of about 10 patrol cars and four motorcycle officers.
And the war on cops continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment