Monday, October 31, 2011

Thank You, Tony La Russa

From ESPN: Tony La Russa waited until after the championship parade and then called a team meeting with his players.
"We didn't know what to expect," said pitcher
Chris Carpenter, who won Game 7 of the World Series against Texas on Friday night. "I think we all figured it was just going to be like, 'Thataway guys. Great year. Way to battle!' Instead, he dropped that on us. I think everybody was caught off-guard."
And with that, the 67-year-old La Russa said goodbye to baseball and became the first manager to retire immediately after leading his team to a Series title -- the third of his career.

"I think this just feels like it's time to end it," he said Monday. "When I look in the mirror, I know I'd come back for the wrong reasons, and I didn't want to do that."
La Russa said he told general manager John Mozeliak of his decision in August -- before the Cards rallied from a 10½-game deficit in the NL wild-card race to upset Philadelphia and Milwaukee in the playoffs.
They won the thrilling seven-game Series after twice coming within a strike of elimination in Game 6.
"I tip my hat to him. He's had a great career. What a way to go out,"
Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
The player meeting was short and emotional.
"Some grown men cried," La Russa said, joking that, "I kind of liked that because they made me cry a few times."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7173381/tony-la-russa-st-louis-cardinals-says-retiring
La Russa is a great manager and a very class act. He rarely argued with the umpires and if he did, he usually had a point. He didn't throw dirt or bases. And he won. He goes out a winner as the St. Louis Cardinals won this years World Series.
Thanks for the memories, Tony, and we hope you enjoy your retirement and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment