Wednesday, August 11, 2010

PGA Championship At Whistiling Straits- My Experience

No, I never played Whistling Straits, where the PGA Championship will be held this weekend, but I do have some experience with the course and it's area.
The course is located in Kohler, WI., a tiny town in Sheboygan County, in the northeast side of Wisconsin. It's kind of a fancy suburb of Sheboygan, and the course and jusat plays up it's elegance.
When I was teaching in Milwaukee, I had to travel to Manitowoc to take some education classes at Silver Lake College, and so I would pass the area where they were constructing the golf course. The area started out as a grass and sandy area with few hills. The had to use all the heavy road construction trucks (scrappers, road graders) to clear out the area and and create some hills. I didn't get to see the finish of the course, but from what I have seen, they did a wonderful job.
I got to golf at Black Wolf Run, a sister course of Whistling Straits. That was an experience in class. The staff treated you with respect and the course was beautiful. I was having the round of my life, but the friends I was golfing with weren't and they started goofing off and playing as many shots as they could and my game suffered from it.
After the round, we went to eat at the restaurant associated with the course and it was very good and very expensive.
If you watch the tournament this weekend, you will see a beautiful course with beautiful surroundings.
For more information about the course and if you want to actually golf there and spend a lot of money: http://www.destinationkohler.com/golf/ws/ws_index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment