Thursday, April 14, 2011

I've Never Been This Bad

From ESPN: Kevin Na will remember the ninth hole at the Texas Open for a long time. Na set a new low Thursday for the worst par-4 hole in the PGA Tour record books, shooting a 16 with a nightmarish sequence of shots. "I got done with the hole and I said [to my caddie], 'I think I made somewhere between a 10 and a 15,'" Na said. "But I think it's close to a 15." Na was smiling by the time he tapped in a 6-footer on the green. "It's all a blur," Na said. Here's what he does remember: His tee shot that sailed into the woods, where Na eventually found the ball. He called it unplayable and teed off again, but not with better results. Along the way he whiffed one stroke, ricocheted another off his inner thigh, tried two shots left-handed and watched the ball barely sputter forward on another stroke. All while still in the woods. http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=6355925 I've played many years of golf. In Milwaukee, I grew up on the courses of Hansen, Currie and Brown Deer (which actually held the GMO for many years). I don't think I ever had a 16 on a hole. Once in a blue moon, a 9. Sometime during a round, I may have an 8. But 16? Never, even when I was starting out in golf at the age of 12. And I never hit myself with a shot. (a shot whiskey once on the course, but that's another story) I will give Na credit. To end up with an 80 after such a horrible hole is very impressive. That's a 64 in 17 holes, so if he got a bogey, he would have ended up with a 69. That's pretty damn good. But it could have been worse. John Daley had an 18 on a par 5 once in 1998. Not sure if he was sober or not. Na wasn't even the highest scorer on the day. One golfer scored a 83. In fact, if Na can comeback, he can still make the cut. Finally, Na is not just a duffer, he has already won $805,000 this season. So, duffers rejoice. Even the pros have worse days then you.

No comments:

Post a Comment