Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cool: Fan Doesn't Want Anything For Jeter's 3000 Hit

Wow, someone has class in New York City. Who would have thought?
From ESPN: Christian Lopez came to Yankee Stadium on Saturday afternoon hoping to see history.
He just didn't realize he'd become a part of it.
Lopez, a 23-year-old cellphone salesman from Highland Mills, N.Y., who was seated in Section 236, Row 1, Seat 19, scooped up New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit -- a third-inning solo home run into the left-field bleachers -- after it rolled onto a grass ledge right in front of him.
"I was taking a picture, and next thing you know I look in the air," Lopez said. "My dad dove and missed it, because he has awful hands. I saw it roll in front of me, so I jumped on it. It was just instinct. I thought 'Wow! This is it! This is my chance!'"
Perhaps even more amazing was the fact that Lopez just wanted Jeter to have the ball and asked for nothing in return, though the Yankees insisted on showering him with memorabilia and tickets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6752505
Lopez could have made tens, if not hundreds of thousands for the baseball but he gave it up freely without asking for anything in return.
That is classy and it shows that some people just are not that greedy.
Nice job, Christian Lopez.

No comments:

Post a Comment