From the RGH: Backed by overwhelming support from the community and from victims of the horrific Sept. 16 crash that killed 11 and injured at least 70, officials announced Wednesday plans to hold the National Championship Air Races on Sept. 12-16.
“In the days and months after the accident, we grappled with the future of the air races,” Mike Houghton, president of the Reno Air Racing Association, said during a press conference.
Then, after receiving “impassioned emails and phone calls from people all around the world,” Houghton said they were motivated “to do everything we can to preserve and continue this historic event.”
Organizers hope to host an air racing event as well as an air show that will feature a memorial to the victims of the September crash, he said. But if they are unable to put on the air race, it will likely be the last year for a Reno air event, Houghton said.
Reno Mayor Bob Cashell said he’s 100 percent behind the association’s efforts. http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?NoCache=1&Dato=20120104&Kategori=EVENTS05&Lopenr=120104020&Ref=AR
It would be nice to have the races continue because it is one of the last true air races in the world and the large amount of money it brings into the Reno area. Of course, changes will have to be made, both with how spectators are seated and also how the airplanes are built or modified to race.
The accident this Fall was a freak thing and the races shouldn't be canceled just for that reason. Just think if we canceled all the events where a person was accidentally killed, we wouldn't have car races, football games, parades etc.
So, good luck to the Reno Air Races and hopefully they will have a successful race later this year.