Monday, October 12, 2009

Something To Be Proud Of?

My very first teaching assignment was at Vincent High School in Milwaukee and I spent a year and half there.
So, today, I read this article from jsonline: "Milwaukee Vincent High School was locked down Monday afternoon after a series of fights broke out inside the building, police and school district officials said.
Eight students have been taken into custody, Milwaukee police Lt. Charles Berard said. No injuries have been reported, he said. " http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/64040602.html

While it has been a few years ago, when I taught there, but I am not surprised. They are more interested in athletics than academics. They bring in students from all over the district and that can cause problems. In addition, and I know most of the administration is not there now, but this is the first time I witnessed the worst of MPS. I witnessed a teacher hit a student in a wheelchair, who was severely mentally and physically disabled, because they were being too loud. And it was not a love tap, it was a slap against the child's face. I took the complaint up the chain of command, from the assistant principal, to the principal to the supervisor of MPS special education to the superintendent's office. It didn't get back to me until later that the the abuser was, in marriage, related to the principal.
Nothing ever happened and there was never even a true an investigation.
Then I got transferred out of the school the following school year.
So, I am not surprised at this revelation today.

No comments:

Post a Comment