Thursday, October 29, 2009

Storm Chasers: My Experience


I am watching Storm Chasers on the Discovery Channel and it reminds me of one scariest moments in my life, when I actually had a small (if there is such a thing) tornado go over my head.
It was about 1998 and I was working for Airport Connections, an airport shuttle service. I was working on a Saturday or Sunday in the Spring. I was dispatched to O'Hare in the company's town car to pick up a passenger to bring back to Mequon.
I got the car from their headquarters on 3rd and got on the freeway at Layton (I-43). As I was heading south, I could see the sky getting dark. I just passed Rawson, I believe, when for some reason I turned to the left and I saw something I've never seen before. The sky and clouds were green. I just said it was cool and then said "oh crap" or something to that effect.
It started to hail, rain and then rain harder. I was right across the highway from a truck stop. The rain got so bad that I pulled over, the first time I have ever had pulled over for rain.
All of a sudden, the wind came and it blew hard. It was in a circular pattern and it blew very hard. I tried using the cell phone, but could not get through as I could not even get a dial tone. I tried to call my wife and then dispatch on the Nextrel, but nothing went through.
The car was rocking back and forth and I really was scared. The whole episode lasted about 3 minutes but it seemed like an hour and when I looked to the east, I could see the funnel.
I later heard on the news that several tractor-trailers were tipped over at the truck stop I was across from and there was a lot of damage. I am just glad I was in the Town Car as opposed to the company van. I went through about 5 more severe storms that night and the trip, which is usually about 4 hours round trip, was about 7 hours.
So, I would like to see a big tornado from afar because I have already seen one close up, too close up. And watching Storm Chasers helps me watch the tornadoes from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment