Sunday, February 6, 2011

What A Feet!! Or Is It?

From Fox News: A Belgian runner claimed a new world record on Saturday by completing 365 marathons in as many days.
Stefaan Engels, 49, crossed the finish line on the final stretch in the Spanish city of Barcelona after running in several countries in Europe as well as the United States, Canada and Mexico over the past year.
Some of the runs were in major marathon competitions.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the previous record for most marathons run on consecutive days was 52 and was achieved by Akinori Kusuda from Japan in 2009.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/sports/world--record-365-marathons-365-days-dpgonc-20110205-jd_11748778
When I was much younger, I ran cross country and distance in track and field when I was in high school. In my senior year and the year after graduating, I ran in 4 marathons, 26.3 miles. If you look at me now, you will wonder how the hell I did that, but I did.
So, I know what it is like to run a marathon. To run a marathon everyday for a year is amazing, especially doing so with out injuries.
So, if this is true, congratulations to Engels, it is an extremely difficult thing to do. But I also have my doubts. Marathons are generally run on the weekends, so where did he find marathons in the middle of the week?
So, I would like to see more documentation before I believe this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment