Thursday, February 16, 2012

R.I.P Gary Carter

Lately, it seems like this blog has become an obituary section, of sorts and today adds another one of my favorite athletes, Gary Carter, catcher for the Montreal Expos and New York Mets and other teams.
From ESPN: Gary Carter, the Hall of Fame catcher who helped the New York Mets win the 1986 World Series, died Thursday at age 57.
"I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 pm.," his daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on the family's website. "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know. He is in heaven and has reunited with his mom and dad. I believe with all my heart that dad had a STANDING OVATION as he walked through the gates of heaven to be with Jesus."
The Carter family has granted ESPN access to the family website to inform the public.
Carter originally was diagnosed with four brain tumors last May. In recent months, the family hoped that, with chemotherapy and other treatments, the tumors were in check. But in January, the family revealed that doctors found several new tumors on Carter's brain.
Carter made a public appearance at the beginning of the month, going to Opening Day for the college baseball team he coached.
Last spring, after experiencing headaches and forgetfulness, Carter underwent an MRI that revealed four small tumors.
Carter, an 11-time All Star, was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003 after retiring in 1992. He finished his 19-year career with a .262 average, 324 home runs and 1,225 RBIs.
The effervescent Carter, nicknamed "Kid," is perhaps best known for his part in the '86 Series. He had 24 homers and 105 RBIs that season, then drove in 11 runs in the playoffs.  http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7583267/hall-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-age-57
I never got to see him play in person, thoguh I watched him many times on TV.  He was one of the best catchers ever and it was a privilege to watch him play.
Thanks for the memories, Gary Carter.

1 comment: