Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Would Be Scared For My Job Also

The Las Vegas Sun ran a sob story about a professor there who may lose her job job because of budget cuts.
From the Sun: Should the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Board of Regents declare a state of financial exigency as a way of dealing with Gov. Brian Sandoval’s draconian cuts to higher education, I could be one of hundreds of professors at UNLV who would lose their jobs. My research profile (ranked “excellent” by my peers), teaching accomplishments (also ranked “excellent”) and service to the university (again, “excellent”) would amount to nothing. UNLV would be forced to eat its own in a perverse form of cannibalism, and I would become a faceless, nameless, cost-saving measure totaling $63,440.
There’s no way that I, or anyone else for that matter, could have predicted this scenario four years ago when I stepped onto campus for my job interview. Signs of growth were visible, and everyone I spoke with was excited about UNLV’s future. This was a university on the up-and-up, I was told. Come and be part of it.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/mar/02/professor-threatened-cuts-are-demoralizing/
The professor is Lynn Comella.
She is a Woman Studies professor.
Her field of study is useless and is repeated at just about every college in the U.S.
They need to eliminate her job- it is not needed.
Just like Italian, Latin American and Afro American studies.
Good luck looking for a new job, professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment