Monday, September 3, 2012

How Do You Get Your Reputation After This?

From the Belfast Telegraph: A County Londonderry man has spoken of the “terrible ordeal” he endured after being falsely accused of indecent behaviour with a horse.
Bobby McLaughlin, from Sunnyside Drive in Maghera, was yesterday acquitted of charges of outraging public decency after a two day trial at the Crown Court in Derry.
The 64-year-old had denied touching a horse inappropriately in a field at Craigmore Road on the outskirts of Maghera on May 17 of last year.
The allegation was made against him by another local man who was accompanied by his seven-year-old daughter at the time.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claimed he witnessed Mr McLaughlin behaving indecently with the horse for more than 10 minutes....
Mr McLaughlin said that the “last year has been a terrible ordeal for me and for those close to me and for my family”.
“I thank them for their belief in my innocence and for standing by me throughout what has been a terrible time in my life.
“I am now looking forward to returning to my community and to returning to my friends an innocent man with my reputation vindictated and with my good name intact.
“I have nothing to say about the man who made these awful allegations against me,” he added.
I know I would be a lot less gracious than than Mr. McLaughlin.  But how do you get your reputation back after this kind of allegation is made against you?

No comments:

Post a Comment