Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Dale Jr. To Retire

Like NASCAR doesn't need anymore bad news.
They can't field a full 40 driver field most of the time (this week, they have only 38 drivers running), they had problems finding a new series sponsor, until Monster Energy stepped up and now, NASCAR's most popular is going to retire at the end of the season.
From ESPN: Dale Earnhardt Jr., who soldiered on in the sport after the death of his father, a NASCAR icon, has decided to retire after the 2017 season.
He said he told Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick of his decision March 29.
"I just wanted the opportunity to go out on my own terms," Earnhardt said Tuesday. "I wanted to honor my commitment to Rick, to my sponsors, to my team, to the fans.
"... I made the decision shortly before I talked to Rick. Every driver thinks about retirement and what they think that looks like for them. I wasn't thinking about it too much until the last couple years. Once I realized how delicate things are, it's something I had to start thinking about quite seriously."
Earnhardt, 42, has 26 wins in 603 starts as part of a likely Hall of Fame career, including Daytona 500 victories in 2004 and 2014. He also has earned 14 consecutive NASCAR Sprint Most Popular Driver awards and remains consistently the top driver when it comes to merchandise sales.  http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/19238738/dale-earnhardt-jr-retire-2017-season
I don't blame Earnhardt from retiring, he has been involved in NASCAR since he was born 42 years ago, first as the son to Dale Sr. and then his own career.
My guess is that he will still be an advertising star, like Brett Farve, do television commentary, run his business and then have time to have a family.
NASCAR is doomed.

1 comment: