Friday, August 13, 2010

NHP To Replace All Patrol Cars


KDWN reported today that the NHP (Nevada Highway Patrol) will be replacing all of it's patrol cars at a cost of about $27,000 each or $1.2 million total. (I could not find a story to link to)
They complained that the average car has 120,000 miles on them.
First, I thought the State was broke.
Second, 120,000 miles? And here I sit in my 2001 Kia Spectra with 133,000 miles, much of it city driving and it's still drivable. Maybe driving on the highway and rural rural areas can kill a car faster. (It doesn't)
Third, $27,000 for each car? Seems a bit expensive. Are they getting a Mercedes?
And fourth, maybe if the urban patrol officers did not take their cars home each day, maybe they can cut down on mileage. Perhaps they can park in a central location in Las Vegas?
I suppose they figure they might as buy them now instead of when they run out of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment