Saturday, September 10, 2011

What Were You Doing on 9/11/01?

I had just started my new teaching job at Pioneer WestfieldHigh School, in Westfield, WI. I had started teaching there less than 2 weeks before, so I was getting to know my students and staff.
While in the classroom, the assistant principal came on the intercom and said that the teachers should turn on the news. He didn't sat exactly why, but you knew it had to be serious because principals just don't tell teachers to turn on the news unless it was something huge going on.
I turned on the TV and our aide and myself watched as they were showing both World Trade Center towers burring. We just watched in disbelief. I had to leave the room when it was reported that the Pentagon was hit, so I missed the reporting of that.
When the first tower collapsed, I didn't know what to think, except that there going be thousands killed, including hundreds of firefighters and police officers.
I was particularly sad because a few years earlier, I visited New York and visited 2 fire stations. The first was the first due engine for the public library in Manhattan. and was in the movie "Ghostbusters". I also visited Engine/Ladder 10''s fire station, which was first due engine and ladder to the Trade Centers and bought a T-shirt there, which I still have somewhere. I was sure some of those firefighters I met that day had died in the collapse.
We watched with our students until it was time to go home. I was an assistant coach football coach that year and for some reason, we played a JV or freshman football game that afternoon We had a brief moment of silence at the game. I was against playing that day, but since I was new, I didn't say anything. They later cancelled all sporting events in the conference for at least a week.
So, that was my experience on 9/11/01.

What was your experience on 9/11/01?

No comments:

Post a Comment