Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bad Company

I hate it when companies don't back up their promises. 
Best Buy screwed me over when I bought my ancient computer (going on about 9 years old now) and I bought the service plan that went with it.  Within a month, the on/off button broke and when i took it to the Best Buy Geek Squad in Wisconsin, they (Best Buy service center, not the store) refused to fix the button.  They stated that the button must have been abused, as if turning a computer on and off is abuse.  And the reason why they said that?  Because the technician who looked at the machine had 3 years experience repairing computers and he never saw a button broke before, therefore it had to be abuse.
So, since that time, I have never set foot in a Best Buy store and I will probably never will, unless I have to go to the bathroom.
And this leads me to my new bad company- Fellowes and their paper shredders.
I bought a paper shredder for our special education classroom in May and within a couple of weeks, the machine stopped working and for no reason at all.  I called the company and they were nice enough and sent a replacement shredder.  Just after I called them, the broken machine stated working again, though not as well when new.  I called them back and they said to keep the shredder.  Great I thought.  They canceled the warranty on the old machine and gave me a warranty on the new shredder.
Well, we put the new machine into service in September and we used it for about 90 minutes a day, alternating with the old shredder, so it wasn't being over used.
Then this week, the 3 month old shredder broke down, make a horrible noise because it probably broke one of the gears.
When I called, they claimed that the old machine was under warranty while the new machine wasn't, which makes absolutely no sense.  And because of this, they were not going to honor the warranty on the new machine. 
So, if you are going to buy a paper shredder, I would not recommend Fellowes (and any other product they make).  They make poor quality products and they don't stand behind what they sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment