Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inside American Jail: Las Vegas Opinion

I was watching the TV show, Inside American Jail when, of course, they showed the Clark County Detention Center.
I have never had the experience of being in or visiting the jail, nor do I have anybody I know have been there (at least I don't think so)
However, I have been to the courthouse which is next to the jail for a marriage license and to pay a traffic ticket.
To me, it is both eerie and scary to walk by. They keep the windows open during the day and you get to hear all the caterwalling by the prisoners. It is loud and you can hear it a couple blocks away. It is scary enough that I would never would want to be in there.
However, I doubt it is any scarier than when I worked at Mendota Mental Health Institute. I worked on a unit as a janitor in the worst unit for the criminally insane. If the prisons couldn't handle them, they came to our unit. And these were some scary dudes. One guy poked out both his eyeballs. Fights would break out and you had some of the biggest beef are working there.
Scariest was the first day I worked the, 2nd shift, and I was trapped in the elevator for 15 minutes. The thoughts running through my mind that day frightening. Would someone come from the ceiling? Did it happen by accident or on purpose? I got out safely and enjoyed the rest of my time there. Even helped with a drug bust. I worked there until I almost graduated from college but it was something I will remember for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment