Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bad Call Cost's Tiger Pitcher A Perfect Game. Instant Replay Needed?


A horrible call by a veteran umpire cost Tiger pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game against Cleveland. the game was in Detroit.
The play started with a hard hit ball to the second base side and was fielded by the first baseman. He threw the ball to Galarraga, who covered first baseand it replays, it clearly showed that Galarraga beat hitter Jason Donald.
The umpire on the play was Jim Joyce. This guy has seen thousands upon thousands ground balls at first base in his career. It was 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth with a perfect game at stake and in this situation he should have been paying particular attention in this situation. He was probably thinking about dinner after the game instead of paying attention to the game. Shameful.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300602106

Maybe it is time for instant replay in MLB?

Update: Joyce apologized for the call: Then Joyce emphatically said he was wrong.

"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the [stuff] out of it," Joyce said, looking and sounding distraught as he paced in the umpires' locker room. "I just cost that kid a perfect game."

"I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay," he said after the Tigers' 3-0 win.
He also visited the Tiger lockerroom and apologized to the pitcher and manager, Jim Leyland.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan...I'm trying to find out if there is a bus that runs to the UNLV football stadium from the strip. Want to attend the Badger game but don't want to rent a car. What's the best way?

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year there was but I don't know the times. I thionk, if I remember right, the buses don't run until about 45 minutes after the game. I don't know about behore.
    There is a regular route that you can take, the Boulder Highway Bus and you get downtown and let's you off on Boulder Highway and Russell and you can walk about 1/2 mile to the stadium and that is regularlly scheduled all day and night.

    ReplyDelete