For the second time in 3 days, a large fire has struck the downtown area, this time destroying a furniture upholstery business. On Sunday, there was a huge fire at a Opportunity Village thrift store. Before that, there was a huge electrical transformer explosion and a natural gas leak. Is it all connected? Possibly.
But whatever the cause, the firefighters have done a good job fighting the fires in the severe heat. Those firefighters fighting fires in 110 degree heat is the same when I was fighting fires when it was -20 degrees. Brutal. The firefighters did not allow the fires to spread to other buildings and so, most of downtown lives to live another day.
Picture courtsey of Las Vegas Sun and for more information: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jul/14/fire-damages-business-south-downtown-las-vegas/