Wednesday, November 17, 2010

This Why Harry Reid Should Have Been Defeated

From the Sun: Republicans may not like it, but Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Wednesday he’s going to go ahead with bills to repeal a ban on gays serving openly in the military and provide undocumented college students and military recruits a chance to become American citizens.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/nov/17/reid-pressing-pass-dream-act-repeal-ban-gays-milit/
As far as Don't Ask, Don't Tell, I would not bothered if they pass it or not, with the caveat- no gay marriage on military bases in States that don't have gay marriage and no housing for gay couples, unless they are married. DADT was passed by Congress, so if Congress wants to get rid of it, I find that more tolerable than if a judge changed the law.
As far as the Dream Act, I am dead set against it. It is amnesty for illegals, no matter how you look at it and it is not fair for people who had to pay thousands of dollars and years trying to jump through hoops to become a legal U.S. citizen. (my ex-wife came here legally from Singapore and we had to jump through a lot of hoops and pay thousands for fees and lawyers. Of course, sometimes I wish I had not, but that's for another day)
And people wonder why Harry Reid should have been defeated. (Yes, I know, if Harry lost, he would still have a couple of weeks in the lame duck session) But at least the GOP will probably filibuster the Dream Act and probably DADT.
I guess this is what Harry Reid calls bi-partisanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment