Sunday, March 14, 2010

Remember When The NCAA Knew Geography?

The bracket for the NCAA basketball tournament came out today and while I am interested in some teams, Wisconsin (mt alma mater), Marquette (my dad worked for Al McGuire) and UNLV, I really could care less until the finals.
But looking at the brackets, the geography seemed a little strange. For instance, the West region apparently contains the cities of Buffalo and Milwaukee. In the East, cities of Jacksonville, San Jose and New Orleans. The Midwest has the cities of Spokane and Providence and the South has Spokane and Providence.
I think it is time to rename the regions. You can name them after great NCAA legends like John Wooden, Dean Smith and James Naismith. Heck, how about the Bobby Knight Region?
Or sell the naming rights and give the money raised for scholarships.
But the NCAA needs to rename of the regions if the cities they use are not in the geographical region.

2 comments:

  1. The NCAA has made an attempt in recent years to reduce the amount of miles teams travel. I believe the system they have in place now is the pod system. That's why, for example, Spokane and Providence are hosting games played by teams in the South Region.

    I must say I’m really excited about the 2010 NCAA Men’s College Basketball Tournament. I haven’t filled out a bracket yet, but I’d say my Final Four teams are Michigan State, Syracuse, Kentucky, and Baylor. I’ll put Syracuse and Kentucky in the championship game, with Syracuse winning. It should be an interesting tournament though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand why they do it, then they just name rename the regions. I still like the Bobby Knight Region. They can have chair throw contests at half time and see who berate a referee the oudest.

    ReplyDelete