Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cool: Meteor Hits Northern Nevada

From the RGH: Reports of a meteor streaking across the western sky Sunday morning were followed by a large explosion that rattled windows from Reno and Lake Tahoe to Tuolumne County in California.
Dan Ruby of the Fleischmann Planetarium at the University of Nevada, Reno, told The Associated Press the reports indicate the meteor broke up above Earth somewhere over the Sierra southwest of Reno.
The explosion set off alarms at the Wal-Mart in Carson City and rattled nerves of residents and authorities who initially wondered if it was caused by an earthquake or a plane crash.
"I was outside my apartment and saw a huge bright thing in the corner of my eye," said Jenae Neu, a Sparks resident. "I looked up and saw a huge bright ball with some sort of tail. It looked like it was about 100 yards away and it only lasted about two seconds before it went behind a hill that's close to my place. It was like nothing I've ever seen. It was crazy."
Layne Mantha said he was outside in Sparks when the explosion happened.
"It was about that time that a large meteor went across the sky," he said. "It might have been the meteor. Something to check because it wasn't very high in the sky when I saw it when I was sitting in my yard in Sparks."
http://www.rgj.com/article/20120422/NEWS/120422002/Meteor-shower-likely-cause-big-boom-heard-throughout-region?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
This meteor shook up a lot of people over a wide area of land.  The power of mother nature strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment