Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bad Precedent in Baseball

Today, the Florida Marlins set a horrible precedent in baseball when they suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for 5 days Because Guillen said he loved Fidel Castro.
Now, I think it was a dumb thing to say and I disagree with Gullien and his views.  But to suspend Guillen for 5 days?
From ESPN: The Miami Marlins have suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for comments he made in which he expressed admiration for Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
"The Marlins acknowledge the seriousness of the comments attributed to Guillen," the team said in a prepared statement announcing the move. "The pain and suffering caused by Fidel Castro cannot be minimized especially in a community filled with victims of the dictatorship."
Marlins bench coach Joey Cora will be the interim manager during the suspension. Guillen said he would fly back to Philadelphia, where the Marlins resume their series with the Phillies on Wednesday, to address the team.
Speaking first in Spanish on Tuesday morning in Miami, Guillen apologized to the city, its Cuban-American community and all Latin Americans for the comments, which were published on Time magazine's website last week.
"I feel like I betrayed my Latin community," Guillen said, according to ESPN's translation of his comments in Spanish. "I am here to say I am sorry with my heart in my hands and I want to say I'm sorry to all those people who are hurt indirectly or directly."  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7795152/ozzie-guillen-miami-marlins-suspended-five-games
So, if a player or manager says he loves Rush Limbaugh, will he get suspended?  Or if a player says he j=hates President, should the player be suspended?
This is political correctness run amok and I hope Guillen appeals the suspension, if he is able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment